Evolution of an unsatisfactory project.
Top: small canvas, 2-4 hour oil sketch.
Middle: tiny canvas, half hour oil sketch. Large canvas, four hours along.
Bottom: Final version of large canvas.
This project and I just could not get along. I managed to resolve some issues with it in the end, but really I just gave up and completely repainted the face on the last day, ignoring everything else on the canvas. As usual, the parts I spent less time on were the most successful. This project was quite difficult though, as the tutor had the model turn her head every half hour, so that no students would be stuck with, say, a profile view for the entire project. She was only moving through two different positions, but it meant that it was very hard to really sit down and concentrate for a long period of time. When her head was turned away from me I worked on the other, smaller canvases.